Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you." I Peter 5:7

Before I left the States I received a present from a friend of mine from work. The present was a book titled "Battling Unbelief" by John Piper. It took me two days to get through the Introduction alone (that's what you get with jet lag and reading devotionals before you go to bed). Last night, again, I was too tired to read so I put it off until this morning. I woke up and opened the book to read the first chapter: Battling Anxiety. The entire chapter was spot on to what I've been going through these past few days. It spoke of how "the root of anxiety is inadequate faith in our Father's future grace. As unbelief gets the upper hand in our hearts, one of the effects is anxiety. The root cause of anxiety is a failure to trust all that God has promised to be for us in Jesus." Before I proceeded to do anything to prepare for Australia I gave it to God, the night before the flight I prayed that He'd get me there safely, I thought I had trusted Him to do what was best for me. But after reading that short bit I realized that I hadn't given it completely to Him. I hadn't trusted Him fully with what he had given to me. By being anxious I'm not accepting the fact that God knows what's going to happen and that He has plans for me. One specific portion of the chapter made me smile. Piper continues by saying "Anxiety will not do you any good...sometimes we just have to get tough with ourselves and say, 'Soul, this fretting is absolutely useless. You are not only messing up your own day, but alot of other people's as well. Leave it with God and get on with your work.'" The chapter tells of how to battle anxiety and unbelief by meditating on assurances of future grace.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matthew 6:33

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God" Philippians 4:6

"Suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through tht Holy Spirit who has been given to us" Romans 5:3-5

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jerimiah 29:11

God's got a plan.
_______________________________________________

I told you that today we would speak about "The Bush".
The Nathan campus of Griffith Uni is surrounded by bush. Basically, bush is the equivalent of forest. There are a lot of tall Eucalyptus trees and, well, bushes. I was hoping that Koalas and Kangaroos were in the bush, but I have yet to see either. I have seen a few Bush Turkeys however! I haven't been able to snap a picture of one yet, but I promise that I will if I have my camera around. They look like our regular turkeys but thinner. Oh... and you can't eat them... cause their endangered. So if you happen to stumble upon a Bush Turkey... don't kill it.

Today was a good day. Got new linens for my bed from school, talked to my International Advisor regarding my program layout and my work visa. Sounds like I won't be getting a job for a few weeks. We need to have started classes (which don't start until July 23) and only then will I be able to APPLY for a work visa. So no income until then - which means lots of cheese and crackers!!! I also got my Student ID card so I can get discounts on stuff like bus tickets! So tomorrow my flatmate and I are going to Garden City and I'll get my first experience of the Brisbane transportation system.

I have yet to see an American. I'm trying socialize as best as I can with my flatmates, but it's difficult at times. I'm hoping that once my program starts and I get into my classes, I'll be able to get to know people better and maybe even get some friends.


Australian word of the day:
the boot = the trunk of a car

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what about Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Not just some things, EVERYTHING! Andie, you are powerful! You can do this! I'm looking forward to seeing God's purpose and plan through this adventure!

Liz said...

Hey! I just got caught up on all your blogs. Glad to hear you landed safely and are adjusting. It is so difficult to remember God has things under control when there are so many uncertainties, but it is true that He does! I am so excited for you and can't wait to hear more! You are in my prayers!!!