Sunday, August 5, 2007

Mt. Coot-tha

I'm feeling MUCH better! :)

Today began with a bus ride to church with Kibet - a friend from church and Uni, originally from Kenya. The service was good. Worship was good because I knew all of the songs and I was able to fully participate in it. The sermon touched on various passages regarding the poor and poverty and how Jesus came down to earth to LIFT us up out of our poverty and that we too much do the same with others. We are not called to live impoverished lives. To be honest, it was a little hard for me to follow. I tried to get something out of it, but we kept jumping from verse to verse throughout the bible: Proverbs, Psalms, Luke, 2 Corinthians (not said as "Second Corinthians", but "Two Corinthians"), James etc. But it was still a good service. Something I've found interesting is that they have had Communion now 3 weeks in a row. I'm not used to that. I meant to ask Maija if she knew why they do it so much, but I forgot. Maybe next week - if they do it again - I will ask. Also, they really like the song "Blessed Be Your Name". I really think they've sung it every week I've been there, which is 4 weeks in a row so far. Not a bad thing... it's a good song!

After church Maija picked me up and we were off to lunch! We went to a cafe in WestEnd (near SouthBank - where I went last weekend). The cafe was 'Three Monkeys' and was great!

(Sorry... this is the only picture I took...)

It was cozy and small and had a really great atmosphere. The tables didn't match, the chairs didn't match, there were old pictures and posters on the walls, there was jazz music playing overhead, it was just a nice little cafe. We split a Panini and some nachos (wonderful combo) and ordered some fruit smoothies and just talked about life. :) It was really nice.

After lunch Maija had a grand idea to go to Mount Coot-tha. I had no knowledge of this place, but found out that it has a lookout overlooking the ENTRIE city. It was amazing!

(click on the pictures to get a larger... and more detailed view)





After drving down from Mount Coot-tha we went to Baskin Robbins (yes... they have that here too) and split a 3-scoop sundae. It was GREAT to eat ice cream again!!! As we indulged we talked about Maija coming to visit California in December and started making plans. We're both excited. :)

It was a good day.
Beautiful day here in Oz.

Another week of classes ahead. And a paper due on Wednesday! I'm going full force now!
All's I need is a job. I've passed out resumes, now I just wait for the calls to come in. Hopefully they'll be soon!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful pictures! I'm looking forward to meeting Maija in December. In the meantime, let's all pray for a job for Andie. We don't want her standing on the corner with a sign asking for food. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are enjoying youself:) I'm so happy you are feeling good about your church there! We'll be praying for your job situation... love you!!!